Happy Earth Day! We love being surrounded by nature at Dirigo Pines and doing our part to take care of the Earth. One recent project is offering reusable containers for meals ordered from the kitchen for Inn residents. How are you going green? Quiz yourself or quiz your friends and test your Earth Day knowledge…
- Dirigo Pines residents are all about being good stewards of the Earth and following the 3 Rs, which stand for:
- Reuse, Reformat, Recycle
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Recycle, Recognize, Return
- Earth Day was first celebrated in what year?
- The “father” of Earth Day, Senator Gaylord Nelson, was disturbed that an issue as important as our environment was not addressed in politics or by the media, so he created the first Earth Day, on April 22, 1970. Which state was Sen. Nelson from?
- “Silent Spring“ is an environmental science book by Rachel Carson, documenting the adverse effects caused by the use of pesticides. The Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge is located in which Maine town?
- Presque Isle
- Maine has how many State Parks and Historic Sites to explore?
- “The Lorax“ is a popular children’s book about the environment, first published in 1971. Who wrote it?
- Dr. Seuss
- Roald Dahl
- Judy Bloom
And a 5 Point Bonus Question: What are the 5 main types of clean renewable energy sources?
- B. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- A. Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970.
- B. Sen. Nelson was from Wisconsin. Earth Day was started as an environmental teach-in first held on April 22, 1970.
- C. “Silent Spring” was published on September 27, 1962.
- C. According to Maine.gov, there 48 State Parks and Historic Sites.
- A. The Lorax “speaks for the trees.”
Bonus: Wind Power, Solar Power, Biomass (the term for using plants and organic matter for fuel), Geothermal, and Hydroelectric.