It’s time to celebrate Mom — now, what to do? Go beyond flowers and trinkets, and plan a mini adventure. All around Dirigo Pines there are fun events, perfect for spending some quality time with Mom and showing your appreciation for all she does. Here are just a few of the fun things going on around Mother’s Day:
- Color Bangor 5K: Get the whole family moving and sign up for the Color Bangor 5K, a fundraiser for the American Folk Festival, taking place the Saturday before Mother’s Day. Walk, run or skip through multiple color stations throughout Bangor, where volunteers cover participants in colored corn-starch powder. It’s fun, it’s messy and mom will love it. Click here for more info and to register.
- Mother’s Day at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens: Take Mother’s Day flowers to the next level and treat mom to garden after garden at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay (a little over 2 hours if you take scenic Route 1 — click here for directions). Enjoy the early tulip display and other spring ephemerals with mom this Mother’s Day. All moms receive free admission to the gardens on Sunday, May 12. Visit www.mainegardens.org for more information.
- Catch a Show: Penobscot Theatre in Bangor has a great line-up of shows for Mom! Catch the last performance of Fun Home on May 12, or pick up tickets now for a June or July show of Mamma Mia. Click here for tickets and details: penobscottheatre.org.
- All Roads Music Festival: Does mom love music? The weekend after Mother’s Day, May 17 and 18, is the perfect time to visit nearby Belfast (only about an hour away — click here for driving directions) and enjoy some of Maine’s favorite indie musicians. The lineup this year includes Rustic Overtones, The Mallett Brothers, Spose, Paranoid Social Club, Kenya Hall and more! Tickets start at $20. Visit allroadsmusicfest.org to get yours and surprise mom.
- Wingfest Maine 2019: How about tickets to Wingfest Maine for some excellent sampling, judging and just plain fun. Restaurants around the area offer up their tastiest wings for participants to taste test. Coming May 30 to the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor. Visit www.wingfestmaine.com for more info and tickets.
Have your own great idea for Mother’s Day fun? Share it with us!