Looking for a dish on the lighter side this summer and veggie packed? Here you go! Find even more heart healthy recipes at www.heart.org!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium eggplant, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley (divided)
- 2 red bell peppers (halved)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup fat-free feta
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook onion, eggplant, garlic, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until eggplant starts to soften. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes; cook for about 5 minutes or until eggplant and tomatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in quinoa and half of the parsley. Spoon quinoa and vegetable mixture evenly into red pepper halves. Arrange in greased baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake for about 20 minutes or until peppers are tender-crisp.
- Remove foil. Crack egg into each stuffed pepper and sprinkle with feta. Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until peppers are tender and eggs whites are set or until desired doneness. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
The American Heart Association’s website is a great place for seniors and people of all ages to find delicious heart healthy recipes. Click here for more AHA recipes!