Is finding the perfect retirement community on your list of New Year’s resolutions? We’ve got 3 tips to help you choose the perfect home.
While the internet can help you research the infinite opportunities available to you in retirement (Dirigo Pines website can be found at dirigopines.com), getting a solid recommendation from a trusted friend is sometimes the very best research you can do. When you find a community you think you’d enjoy – get the inside scoop. Take a tour, talk to residents and get their opinion on what they love and what they’d change. At Dirigo Pines, we offer tours and lunch and an opportunity to chat with residents and get your questions answered. To schedule a visit, call 866-344-3400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can We Afford It?
Does a retirement community make sense financially for you? It’s a big question. The best way to figure it out is putting pen to paper and comparing your current expenses with your expected retirement expenses. Remember to include regular expenses like electric and cable, but also keep in mind big ticket expenses like that new roof or furnace. Many home expenses, both regular and unexpected, are included for Dirigo Pines residents. Check out our interactive maps comparing costs inside and outside your home.
Ask the Right Questions
Knowing the right questions to ask can help you get the answers you’ll need in retirement.
- What is the staff to resident ratio? This will tell you how much time and attention they can provide.
- Do you have a physician serving as a medical director? How often is that person on site? Timely healthcare is essential. If a physician is not on site regularly, then residents must be transferred off site for healthcare services.
- Is transportation available to doctor and dental appointments? Does the facility have someone to go along with the resident? If not, you may be providing this or paying someone else to take you or your loved one.
- Describe your activity staff and schedule. Socialization and physical activity are proven to contribute to overall health.
- Are meal plans assessed by a dietitian? Can you accommodate special diets?
- Does the facility offer the care we need? Or better yet, the care you may need in the future. The last thing you want to do in your retirement is be constantly moving as your healthcare needs change. Choosing a community like Dirigo Pines that offers a continuum of care, from independent cottages and apartments to assisted living to memory care, ensures you will have the care you need as you age.