Tis the season for delicious food. Try these simple, healthy and festively colored kebabs as an appetizer at your next holiday gathering. Find even more heart healthy recipes at www.heart.org!
For the Kebabs:
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes (red or yellow)
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves (washed)
- 2 part-skim mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 8 wooden skewers
For the Balsamic Drizzle:
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp no-calorie sugar substitute (granulated, 1 packet)
- Cut each string cheese stick in to 12 rounds (24 cubes total).
- Assemble each kebab with 3 tomatoes, 3 mozzarella slices and 3 basil leaves (tomato, basil, cheese, tomato, basil, cheese, tomato, basil, cheese). Gently fold the basil leaves 2-3 times before skewering, larger leaves may be torn in half.
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil and no-calorie sweetener. Lightly drizzle over skewers before serving.
The American Heart Association’s website is a great place for seniors and people of all ages to find delicious heart healthy recipes. Click here for more AHA recipes!