Breakfast is the most important meal of the day — might as well as make it the most delicious too! Try this yummy and protein packed breakfast burrito from the American Heart Association to get you through the morning! Find more heart healthy recipes at www.heart.org!
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cups liquid egg whites
- 1, 15.5-oz can no-salt-added black beans (rinsed, drained)
- 4, 6-inch whole-wheat tortillas (lowest sodium available)
- 2 medium avocados (sliced)
- 1/4 cup hot sauce or salsa (lowest sodium available) (optional)
- Lightly spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat.
- Pour the egg whites into the skillet, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula to scramble. Cook until the eggs are almost set. Add the beans, stirring until combined and heated through.
- Microwave the tortillas on 100% power (high) for 45 seconds. (Makes them pliable and easier to roll.) Transfer to a work surface.
- Spread the egg mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Top with the avocado and hot sauce or salsa.
- Fold the bottom half of the tortilla up to almost meet the top half (leave about a 1-inch flap of tortilla). Then, pull back with your fingers on the filling area to tuck in the filling and form a roll. Next, slightly fold both sides in. With both sides folded, tightly roll the tortilla forward to create a burrito.
The American Heart Association’s website is a great place for seniors and people of all ages to find delicious heart healthy recipes. Click here for more AHA recipes!