Whether you’re feeling snacky for a healthy treat or have grandkids coming to visit this weekend – these sweet and simple apple nachos from the American Heart Association are fun, silly and delish! Find even more heart healthy recipes at www.heart.org!
- 1/3 cup dried, unsweetened cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (unsalted)
- 2 Tbsp hulled, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3 red or green apples (or mix and match!), cored and thinly sliced into about 12 pieces each
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat, smooth peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp honey
- In a small bowl, combine dried cranberries/ raisins, almonds, and sunflower seeds.
- Core each apple and thinly slice into about 12 pieces each. Layer half the apples onto a large plate or platter. If the apple slices will be sitting out for a while, sprinkle a little lemon juice over them to prevent browning.
- Using the microwave or a teapot, bring 2 tablespoons water to a boil. In a small bowl, combine hot water, peanut butter, and honey. Use a spoon and stir until mixture is smooth.
- Use the spoon to drizzle half the peanut butter mixture over the plated apple slices; sprinkle with half the cranberry mixture. Layer the remaining apples on top and repeat with remaining peanut butter and cranberry mixture. Serve.
The American Heart Association’s website is a great place for seniors and people of all ages to find delicious heart healthy recipes. Click here for more AHA recipes!