Feel light and springy with this tasty springtime salad from the American Heart Association! Find even more heart healthy recipes at www.heart.org!
For the Chicken Salad:
- 1/4 cup fat-free, plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt-free, dried Italian spice blend or dried thyme, dried basil or both combined
- 2 cups skinless, shredded chicken breast of a rotisserie-cooked chicken
- 3 Tbsp chopped, unsalted, uncoiled walnuts (or whatever nuts are on sale)
- 1/2 cup halved, seedless grapes OR sugar-free, dried fruit like prunes or cranberries
- 1 red (sweeter) or green (more tart) apple, finely chopped
For the Green Salad:
- 1 head lettuce (green leaf, red leaf or romaine), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 chopped cucumber (chopped, peeled if desired)
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp red vinegar, white vinegar, or lemon juice
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, and spice blend in a large bowl with a fork.
- Add chicken, nuts, grapes, and chopped apple. Stir to combine.
- In a bowl, combine chopped lettuce, cucumber, and tomato.
- Add oil and vinegar, stirring to combine with salad.
- Serve salad greens with chicken salad on top.
The American Heart Association’s website is a great place for seniors and people of all ages to find delicious heart healthy recipes. Click here for more AHA recipes!