Who doesn’t have eat healthier on their list of New Year’s Resolutions? A healthy diet is one of best ways to take good care of yourself and benefit your heart this February! Keep that old food pyramid in mind as you’re shopping, and focus on adding a wider variety of fruits and veggies and whole grains into your daily menu. We love sharing heart healthy recipes – click here for a list of Dirigo Dish recipes!
Here are a few other healthy eating tips:
- Get friendly with fish and work salmon, trout, herring and other fish containing omega-3 fatty acids into you diet at least twice per week
- Choose low-fat (1%) or fat-free dairy and milk products
- Need to lower your cholesterol? Try reducing your saturated fat to no more than 5 to 6 percent of your total calories. So if you’re eating 2,000 calories per day, that’s about 13 grams of saturated fat.
- Lose the soda and foods with added sugar
- If you drink alcohol, drink in moderation. That’s no more than one drink per day for women or two drinks per day for men.
Want more great tips and healthy recipes? The American Heart Association website is full of tips and healthy recipes. Click here!