Need a quick and delicious side dish in holiday colors? Tasty anytime, this broccoli salad from the American Heart Association requires no cooking and looks festive with the addition of dried cranberries. Find even more heart healthy recipes at www.heart.org!
- 7 cups chopped broccoli florets (from about 2 heads broccoli) – cut small
- 1 cup grated broccoli stem (also from those same 2 heads broccoli)
- 2 (5-ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/3 cup dried, unsweetened cranberries
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Remove and reserve the stalks from the broccoli. Chop broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. Add into a large zip-top bag with water chestnuts and dried cranberries.
- Place a box grater inside a small bowl. Grate the stalks to get around 1 cup of grated broccoli stem (or more depending on how big the stalks are). Add into the bag.
- In a small bowl, add oil, vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk with a fork to combine. Add dressing into the zip-top bag. Seal the bag and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 24 hours to let the broccoli marinate in the dressing. Serve.
The American Heart Association’s website is a great place for seniors and people of all ages to find delicious heart healthy recipes. Click here for more AHA recipes!