Moving to a new town, new neighborhood or a community like Dirigo Pines can be challenging when it comes to meeting new people and getting involved. Making new friends can feel daunting, but at Dirigo Pines we make it easy. There’s so much to do within our community – you’ll be surprised how quickly you’ll find fun new activities to get involved in and meet new friends with like interests.
- Check out our monthly activities. There is no shortage of things going on – right now, we’re catching up on Downton Abbey episodes every weekend, and every Saturday and Wednesday night we enjoy a movie on the big screen in the Kenduskeag Gathering Place. We have non-stop musical entertainment and guest speakers, crafting activities, and visits from therapy dogs when we need a furry friend to pet. In December, we’re looking forward to a performance by the North Country Strings, a Holiday Open House, tree lighting and more!
- Move and groove. Exercise classes are offered every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, in addition to Sittercise and Yoga classes. Or join us for the occasional trip to hear bands like The Skyliners Band & Dance At the Next Generation Theatre in Brewer – just hop on the bus for an evening of dancing!
- Join a club. Dirigo offers clubs, groups and religious services for just about everyone. From cribbage and bridge players to our Out to Lunch Bunch who enjoy trying new local restaurants, it’s not hard to find someone with similar interests.
- Get outside. Dirigo’s trails connect in with the Orono Land Trust’s Sklar Park trail system, a 40-acre parcel situated at the west end of Main St., between Route 2 and I-95. Pick up a trail brochure – developed by our residents and available at the trail entrance behind the Dirigo Pines Inn – and get walking and discovering!
- Off campus fun. Dirigo Pines has a strong tie to the University of Maine, whose campus is just minutes away. In addition to its excellent library and museums, residents enjoy access to the school’s many sports facilities, including tennis courts, an indoor pool, cross-country skiing trails and bike paths. Seminars and lectures are regularly presented on campus, and academic courses offer endless ways to fulfill lifelong desires for learning.All independent residents of the Dirigo Inn receive a Pines Pass, which allows for special discounts at UMaine. All other Dirigo residents can apply for the Pines Pass and receive the discounts as well. Activities and services include tickets to the Maine Center for the Arts, UMaine athletic events, library card, parking pass, Fitness Center discount, purchases in the UMaine bookstore, and meals at the Marketplace Cafe. Click here for a list of upcoming performances at UMaine’s Collins Center for the Arts.