Harvest time is here. Chilly weather, falling leaves – and soup! Try this simple, low calorie and flavorful soup from the American Heart Association. Find even more heart healthy recipes at www.heart.org!
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped, roasted red bell peppers, drained if bottled
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 tsp. olive oil, extra virgin preferred
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the tomatoes with liquid, broth, roasted peppers, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the oil, sugar, and salt. Serve sprinkled with the parsley.
The American Heart Association’s website is a great place for seniors and people of all ages to find delicious heart healthy recipes. Click here for more AHA recipes!