Now that the apples are all picked – what are you going to do with them? Here’s a delicious and healthy idea from the American Heart Association. The AHA offers hundreds of great heart healthy recipes on their website at heart.org.
Apple Bread Pudding
- Cooking spray
- 1 whole egg PLUS 1 egg white
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves or allspice
- 6 slices light, whole-grain or multigrain bread, cubed
- 3 medium apples, cored, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- *Optional: 1/2 cup of any one of the following: raisins, dried cranberries, fresh or dried blueberries, chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Spray 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, milk, sugar blend, vanilla, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add bread and apple cubes. Add fruit or nuts if desired. Mix well.
- Pour mixture in to prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
The American Heart Association’s website is a great place for seniors and people of all ages to find delicious heart healthy recipes. Click here for more AHA recipes!